Bravo!

so remember how my blog was about how things sometimes don’t turn out the way you expect and then I posted it and everyone thought I was pregnant which I am not…

totally intentional. just trying to give you a concrete example of what i was talkin’ about, right?

NOPE. sorry that I led some of you to believe I was knocked up! i am not, but you will know if i do become knocked up because i will drop off the face of the earth for the length of the pregnancy and you will probably be summoned to raise my children and feed my husband as i rekindle a close relationship i have with my toilet.

ANYWHO, today I would like to talk about poop. that’s right, poop. if you haven’t thought about it in awhile then you have no kids as it is the topic of many a convo. yesterday HB (Hazel Basil) (NO! her real middle name is Grace!) (well MC dubbed her Hazel Basil at a young age) (Molly Corin) (YES! her middle name is really Corin!) (pronounced Corrinne, can i get back to it here?) so Hazel was going potty and after she finished she stood up and bowed saying, “THANK YOU! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! you would have thought she just completed an original one woman play with the pride she had in her work… but it got me thinking.

what kind of existence is it when we only take pride in what is pretty? when we hold up what is photoshopped and unattainable or at the very least unsustainable over what is real and inherently beautiful? what if when life got really ugly and there was brokenness and anger and frustration and confusion and fear and hurt, what if it was okay to yell IT’S NOT FAIR and let the tears fall. what if you knew for certain that in that moment you would be listened to, held and cared for. this is part of life. there are moments that are going to be so breathtakingly beautiful that you will have no words and the joy and the love and the peace that result will be too intense to contain. there will also be moments of absolute heartbreak where the world that you know and the future you hoped for will all begin to slip away, and the pain and the hurt and the confusion and the fear will be too intense to contain. my hope is that we will share both in this journey and truly begin to rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn.

this blog is a place where you will learn to take a dump and then take a bow!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Bravo!

1. Courtney Branham says:

the thing that makes this great is that I can hear you saying these things! love it!!

2. cindy says:

love it!! and love you :):)

3. Michelle says:

So Ben and I started watching Friday Night Lights and it’s about all these high school jock types and one of the characters (well a few actually) go through these horribly isolating experiences but here’s the kicker and how we know it is a fiction show – in all their moments of self-doubt and isolation there is always one character who comes and finds them and tells them they are loved and everything is going to be okay. But we all know that sometimes (probably most often) that doesn’t happen. I speak from a tortured middle school experience – when you are truly down and out and the world is against you, people don’t come knocking. I spent a lonely 6mos. at aged 16 alone with my journal and guitar and no one telling me it was going to be okay. Oooh, I sound so goth (which I wasn’t). Anyway, lucky for us times have changed, we’ve got a great support network. Life isn’t always fair, and it sucks when it isn’t. Sending love to you, and perhaps a batch of cookies for tomorrow night.

4. you should use that as your tagline for the blog “this is a blog where you will learn to take a dump and then take a bow”…
    you have much wisdom, Lady.
    Excited to read along with your thoughts!

5. Michelle says:

Oops, I meant high school. If I was 16 and in middle school, that would make me extra-tortured and educationally stunted. 😉

6. Jenna says:

Love your writing, Christin! Thanks for sharing this blog publicly- because even though we haven’t been in touch for like, 15 (yikes!) years, I really enjoy reading what you have to say. This was exactly what the pastor at our church spoke about a few weeks ago- being real with eachother and supportive of eachother. I must need to hear it! 🙂
    P.S. The fun way you parent is an inspiration!

7. Suellen says:

I would like that, but there’s a good chance if I bow I would fall over altogether and also my hemorrhoids are hellacious!

8. So you’re saying it’s not normal to discuss the state of the poop after EVERY poop? oopsies…..

9. Suzzette DeMers says:

Thank you for yelling “it’s not fair!” and crying real tears with me when life really was a big poop. For that, my friend, we shall take a bow.

10. Meredith says:

I’m so thankful to be a part of your life & family. Can’t wait for more posts. Glad I will be allowed to take a dump then bow!

11. Kimberly says:

Love to all my red-headed pooping and bowing lady friends in the Stevens’ household!

12. erin says:

i have a two year old and have been thinking lately about her reaction to her poop (i think if someone had told me so much of my life would revolve around body excretions, i might have opted out on this parenting thing). she doesn’t take a bow, but she does announce it as it’s happening, and doesn’t seem to notice the smell (i’m pregnant, and she sometimes insists i hold her neck while she’s going, so, um, i notice). the same thing with passing gas… no embarrassment or disgust, and i realize i’m pretty uptight with a definite definition of how things “ought” to be and what is “proper” and “correct” and “pleasant” and that this definition has left me pretty insecure, anxious, and outright miserable many a time. not a state i want my daughter to have to deal with. now, how to deal with my own issues without giving her some of the same ones… never knew parenting would be so enlightening and almost forcefully sanctifying. :o) again, appreciate your posts.